Surplus Property Section
The Property Management Office works with the Moves and Events to process surplus property for the university. The SPA manual defines surplus/salvage property as follows:
- Surplus: Any personal property which is in excess of the needs of any state agency and which is not required for its foreseeable need. Surplus property may be new or used but must have additional useful life.
- Salvage: Any personal property which through use, time, or accident is so depleted, worn out, damaged, consumed, or outdated that it is obsolete and/or can no longer serve the purpose for which it was originally intended.
The procedure for disposal of surplus property can be found in UPPS No. 05.01.02, and is summarized in part as follows:
- Departments that determine they have surplus property shall inform the Department of Materials Management by completing an online form Requesting Pickup of Surplus Property.
- All surplus property reported will be removed from the department to the University Distribution Center by Moves and Events. An Equipment Transfer Form will be used to list all surplus property being transferred.
- The Director of Materials Management will determine the method by which the surplus property will be disposed.
- Surplus property found to be beyond repair will be destroyed.
- Surplus Property could also be sold under sealed bids to the highest bidder.
- The proceeds from the sale of any surplus property shall be placed in the University's General Fund.